Saturday, April 20, 2013

Crouching phoenix in the the ashes

Oh shit just got real now! Isnt that the honest truth. Flip on a TV channel and you can see the fire and the brimstone. The righteous wrath bubbling up in those who hold the front lines. Our presswalas cry hoarse and cry blood in this high noon. Like shit wasn't real enough when the last girl died and they shipped her corpse overseas just so those in power would not be blamed. As if shit wasn't real enough when they were blaming maggi for rape. Hell shit has been real for a long time. How long has it been? Can any of you truly remember a time when you did not read such things happening in our great nation? I remember reading absolutely heinous blood chilling perversions in Indian Express. Back when I was ten and my only interest in the damn paper were the Tarzan cartoons. And even then I would wonder, what causes such an eruption of savagery in the human being? What breaks us so bad that we erupt in this disease?

Is it oppression? It could very well be the oppression. The oppression of the mind and the body, the slavery we enforce upon our fragile minds in the name of society. Oppression, both sexual and social. As we inherit the chains created by our ancestors in an ever changing world. In a world where concepts of absolute control and right of might are rendered obsolete by the rapid exchange of information. A world where the word accountability takes on brand new meanings. A world where you cannot fool the masses and soon you wont even be able to fool yourself. A world where equality, freedom, liberty ring closer and closer to the truth. And yet we toil on, telling our wives to dress modest while eyeing that hot babe in the red dress. Frowning on social releases, frowning down on immodest behavior. We press on deriving ourselves of all the pleasures of the world. While we stick to our code of morality.

We burn ourselves out bearing tyranny of invisible castes, creeds, taboos, dogmas, stigmas. Bearing the cross of many sins real and imagined until we are nothing but shadows of what was once living breathing flame.

It could be our familial systems. It could be the system of joint families. An interesting family style in an increasingly overpopulated world. Where privacy becomes a taboo and everything is encouraged to be shared with your relatives. Everything? Why yes everything. Thus forgetting how inherently negative humans are. Forgetting what happens when negativity is bottled up inside for years and years without release. Forgetting there is a beast inside every man, that stirs ever so close to the skin. Because we thought our family love would be enough...enough to stem back the black tide.

It could be our hubris for believing so long we are superior beings to these ignorant westerners and their blatant disregard for modesty and penchant for equality. Could be because we dared to think that our ancient rotting culture which has been hijacked by fanatics made us better in any way than anybody else. Could be because we are so full of ourselves that we cannot even see ourselves in the mirror when we take a good look.

Well take a good look now. See what we are, and going as we are see where we are headed. Its all going down baby. Its all going down.

See where you wanted to be, and see where you are. Isnt that how you assess life goals? So why should it be any different for a nation.  We are not where we thought we would be. We are shamed because we cannot even handle our own deviancy. India can learn a thing or two about this from Japan, not they have shit all sorted out either. But then no has their shirt sorted out. Its a sign of the times. The end times. Kal Yuga! After all what can one man do? What can one woman do? Protest a little, picket the parliament, write blogs with false hopes, and then when the dust settles down wait for the next rape to come around. Until the blood starts to boil again. Right?

Honestly I dont know. My answer which might not be your answer at all is to be a better human being. Yes, thats about it...despite how anti climatic that sounds. I wand to live my life as best I can and do whatever I am doing, the best I can. Because if I can just do that much then I think I have a chance. If I can just keep things around me sane. If I can just break out of this cycle of hatred and hopefully not let it foster around me, that will be enough. If I can just live free and breathe free along with my fellow human beings, that will be enough. If I can choose the straighter road in how I live, that will be enough. And if fate one day tosses me a chance at rendering a service to my nation, big or small, then I will know that I can truly make a difference. Big or small. I will know that I got my chance to play a part.

Big or small.

And choose accordingly.

No comments: